The School of Public Health under the Columbia University boasts of a rich legacy and a long heritage of selfless service to the community. It was started 13 years after College of Physicians and Surgeons (P&S) of Columbia University issued an urgent call for a “new public health”. Initiated with $3 million donation from the estate of Joseph DeLamar, it appropriately started functioning as the DeLamar Institute of Public Health opened its doors in 1922. The Institute later came to be known as Columbia University School of Public Health 1945 onwards.
It underwent a name change yet again in 1998 and in honor of Joseph L. Mailman, a prominent businessman dedicated to health and education issues was re-christened as the Mailman School of Public Health. It went through welcome transition and great development with the help of $33 million gift from Joseph Mailman.
Why Choose MHA Degree?
The rising competition and the growing demand have necessitated specialized knowledge to tackle the challenges in today’s healthcare industry. This course helps students develop a multi-pronged approach aimed at a comprehensive course view.
- Students learn to think in an analytical manner, communicate effectively improve organizational awareness and grasp strategic planning
- They develop competency in resource allocation as well as management.
- Prepares them to effective deal with challenges in hospitals, non-profit organizations and other health-related institutions
The alumni, faculty and associated health institutions provide students with a treasure trove of contact base and networking alternative for boosting their career prospects. It is accredited by the CAHME, signalling that the curriculum has incorporated key competencies.
The MHA degree is offered in three main formats and is essentially based on cohort-based programs. This empowers students with business school education and management prowess on one hand and a thorough grasp of healthcare sector realities on the other hand.
- Full-time: It is a structure 2-year program giving insights into inter-disciplinary management understanding
- Part-time: It is a 28-month evening program targeted for professionals with a tight work schedule
- Executive Program: It comprises of weekend classes over 2 years to accommodate those professionals who cannot attend the part time module
What Are The Pre-requisites?
Apart from the complete application form and the fee, students need to furnish:
- 3 letters of recommendation
- GRE score, in some case GMAT scores are also accepted
- A personal statement of 500 words
- Transcripts of all courses undertaken thus far
- TOEFEL scores for international students